BCFPD to Host March 11th Blood Drive
- Posted by Barrington Hills
- On March 8, 2023
Another Chance at Life
Barrington Countryside to Host March 11th Blood Drive
A community blood drive to be hosted by the Barrington Countryside Fire Protection District (BCFPD) this weekend is an opportunity to help restock depleted blood supplies used at area hospitals, surgical centers, and emergency treatment facilities – and give those in need another chance at life.
The blood drive, organized in partnership with Vitalant, will take place Saturday, March 11th, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm, at BCFPD Headquarters (22222 North Pepper Road, Lake Barrington).
Donors may schedule an appointment by calling 877-258-4825 or visiting www.vitalant.org (use group code ORD0763A).
Donors are Vital
“We are proud to partner with Vitalant and offer community members the chance to give the ‘gift of life,’” BCFPD Fire Chief Jim Kreher explained. “Ensuring adequate supplies of life-saving blood and blood products is always a challenge, and individual donations can have a tremendous impact,” he added.
Prepare accordingly before giving blood on March 11th:
- Eat a healthy, low-fat meal within two hours of your donation time. Eat a salty snack the day before your appointment to help maintain healthy blood pressure (your body loses salt during blood donation).
- Stay hydrated by drinking 8 – 16 ounces of water one hour before you donate.
- Avoid or limit caffeinated sodas, coffee, tea, or energy drinks on the day of your donation.
Did You Know? *
- The majority of the U.S. population is eligible to give blood, but only about 3% actually donate.
- Someone requires blood in the U.S. every two seconds.
- Every day, U.S. healthcare facilities need approximately 29,000 units of red blood cells, 6,500 units of plasma, and 5,000 units of platelets.
- Daily personal emergencies and ongoing medical needs require a constant and readily available blood supply. It’s the blood already on hospital shelves that saves lives.
About the BCFPD
Established in 1940, the Barrington Countryside Fire Protection District serves portions of Barrington Hills, South Barrington, Lake Barrington, and Inverness; and portions of unincorporated Cook, Lake, and McHenry Counties. BCFPD services are strengthened through a series of automatic aid agreements and partnerships with surrounding fire departments and fire districts.
The Board of Trustees meets the third Monday of each month, 6:30 pm, at the District’s Lake Barrington headquarters, 22222 N. Pepper Road. For more information on BCFPD operations, activities and events, call 224-848-4800, visit www.bcfpd.org, or access the Department’s Facebook or Instagram pages.